The new dimension of the insulation fault location
With the new insulation fault location system EDS440 insulation fault location will be even more efficient and safer
IT systems have the great advantage that, as described in DIN VDE 0100-410 and in section 411 of IEC 60364-4-41, a first fault does not lead to an automatic shutdown of the power supply and thereby to a failure of the entire system. On the contrary, IT systems can continue to be operated and controlled, and the fault can be rectified later when it is more convenient to do so without having high downtime costs. The basis for this are insulation monitoring systems. They monitor the insulation resistance and signal when the value falls below a specific limit value. With this information, the appropriate time for the insulation fault location can be determined. In the case of complex systems and power supplies that are distributed over a large area, the insulation fault location may require a high investment in terms of time and personnel.
The new Bender insulation fault locator EDS440 is adapted to the additional functionality of the new insulation monitoring device iso685. The iso685-D-P variant is equipped with the locating current injector required for the insulation fault location. The operating menu for the setting of the EDS440 has been extended and adapted. Automatic bus scan to detect the connected EDS440 and customised text input for the alarm messages allow a comfortable application by the operating personnel.
With the new EDS440 device series the user is offered a system with outstanding value for money. Simple installation and operation have been combined with the latest efficient technology for automated insulation fault location. The significantly improved availability of the installed power supply and the considerably reduced maintenance effort lead to increased safety and also to higher business efficiency of technical installations of any type.
Automatic insulation fault location during operation and indication of the faulty outgoing circuit offer the system operator the following advantages:
- A shutdown of the system (or system parts) is not necessary.
- No work on living parts is required for the fault location. Hazards for electrically skilled persons are thereby avoided.
- The insulation fault location is done automatically during operation.
- The fault location is indicated more localised and more precisely.
- The information on the faulty circuit is available within seconds.
- The recommendation mentioned in the basic safety standard DIN VDE 0100-410 (IEC 60364-4-41): "It is recommended that a first fault be eliminated with the shortest practicable delay." is fulfilled.